Queensland recorded one new locally acquired case of COVID-19 on Saturday following the easing of Brisbane’s snap three-day lockdown earlier this week.
Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said the case was a close contact related to the Brisbane cluster, and the person had been in quarantine since March 27.
“Their first test was negative and now they have become infectious and they are now positive,” she told reporters on Saturday morning.
The state also recorded two cases acquired overseas.
“The good news is the lockdown has served its purpose in that the people we were tracing had been able to be quarantined before they were infectious, which is exactly the purpose in which we sought to have the lockdown and allow the contact tracers to do their job,” Ms D’Ath said.
“We have 74 active cases … 74, of course, is still very high, and we are looking after those people in our hospital system currently.”
In response to reports seven people in the UK died from unusual blood clots after receiving the AstraZeneca COVID-19 jab, Queensland chief health officer Jeannette Young said urgent meetings were being held to discuss the issues.
“I met with all of my colleagues at AHPPC (Australian Health Protection Principal Committee) yesterday. We are going to be meeting again today,” she said.
“More importantly than that TGA (Therapeutic Goods Association) and ATAGI (Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation), the two important bodies are involved in looking at this.
“We will get more advice from our meeting today and a decision will be made as to what advice should be provided.
“But at this point in time, people shouldn‘t be concerned and we expect rare side effects. We just need to be aware of them and individuals need to be aware of them.”