Prince Philip will remain in hospital over the weekend — and while he’s admitted, he will not be allowed any royal visitors, according to UK reports.
The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, has been told he needs to stay in bed for “rest and observation” after spending a third night in London’s King Edward VII Hospital.
Due to strict COVID-19 restrictions, visitors are banned from the hospital to reduced the risk of virus transmission to already sick patients.
The Queen and other royals would only be allowed inside during “exceptional circumstances”.
“He knows the nation is sending their thoughts and prayers. The Duke has been in HMS Bubble for almost a year so he is used to all kinds of restrictions.
“He has barely been able to see his family for the past year. He knows only too well people have been going through worse than him.”
Prince Philip’s trip to hospital this week was confirmed by Buckingham Palace on Thursday, Australian time.
“His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening,” the statement said.
“The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell.
“The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest.”
He was reportedly not taken in by ambulance and was able to walk into the hospital.
In December 2019, the Duke similarly spent four nights at the same hospital as a “precautionary measure”, receiving treatment for a “pre-existing condition”.
He was discharged on Christmas Eve and driven to Sandringham, where he spent Christmas with the Queen.
Months earlier in January, the then 97-year-old was behind the wheel of a car involved in a collision close to the Sandringham estate in Norfolk. Two were injured in the crash, yet the Prince escaped unscathed.
In the past, he has received treatment for various health conditions including a blocked coronary artery in 2011, a bladder infection in 2012 and exploratory surgery on his abdomen in June 2013.
He also spent two nights in hospital in 2017 just before his retirement, and went on to have a hip operation in 2018.
The Duke – who is due to celebrate his 100th birthday on 10 June – stepped back from royal duties in 2017 after decades standing dutifully by the queen’s side.
He is currently the longest-serving consort of a reigning British monarch and the oldest ever male member of the British royal family.