Prince Charles visits dad Prince Philip in hospital on Saturday


Prince Charles appeared to be showing the strain of a tough week for the royals as he visited his ill father, Prince Philip, at London’s King Edward VII Hospital.

The Prince of Wales looked sombre as he left the hospital, just a day after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced they have permanently quit as frontline royals.

The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, was taken to the hospital on Tuesday and is expected to remain there for several more days.

It was previously reported that due to strict COVID-19 restrictions, visitors were banned from the hospital to reduce the risk of virus transmission to already sick patients.

The Queen and other royals would only be allowed inside during “exceptional circumstances”.

On Saturday (local time) Prince Charles travelled to London from his Highgrove residence in Gloucestershire and entered through the rear entrance of the hospital where he was met by security staff, The Sun reported.

The Prince of Wales appeared sombre, with bloodshot eyes as he was driven away after spending half an hour at the hospital.

Prince Philip has been told he needs to stay in bed for “rest and observation” after was taken ill at Windsor Castle earlier this week.

RELATED: Prince Philip in hospital as a ‘precautionary measure’

Prince Philip has been treated at the same London hospital for several ailments in previous years.

It is understood he had felt unwell for several days before royal doctors ordered him to hospital as a “precautionary measure”.

He was driven 26 miles from Windsor Castle in a private car and walked into the hospital unaided.

The visit comes just a day after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced they have permanently quit as frontline royals.

Philip had his virus jab six weeks ago and his admission is not as a result of Covid.

All patients are tested for the virus before being admitted and in their rooms.

RELATED: Harry and Meghan accused of ‘disrespect’ towards Queen

The Duke is used to being surrounded by restrictions after almost a year moving between Windsor Castle, Balmoral and Sandringham with just a small staff.

A team of 24 work three weeks on and three weeks off with a period of quarantine to prevent Covid.

No one has to wear a mask but everyone in close contact with the Queen and Duke has been tested.

Buckingham Palace said it would not give a running commentary on the Duke’s health.

A spokesman said last night: “He was admitted for rest and observation and that continues.”

Philip is now rarely seen in public. He stepped down from official engagements in August 2017 after completing more than 22,000 solo events and thousands more alongside the queen.

A former naval officer renowned for his sometimes brusque manner and humour, Philip married Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became queen.

He is now by far the longest-serving consort of any British monarch.

This article was first published on The Sun and has been republished here with permission



Source link

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here