No new local cases, Holiday Inn cluster


There have been no new cases of coronavirus recorded in Victoria, after the state spent the night on high alert.

While there are still 25 active cases in the state, 22 linked to the Holiday Inn cluster, no positive tests were recorded in hotel quarantine or among the community.

Nearly 18,000 Victorians turned out to be tested on Friday, a slight drop on the 21,000 tests recorded the day before.

On Friday, two parents and a child from the same family tested positive to the virus.

One parent and the child had been quarantining on the third floor of the Melbourne Airport Holiday Inn at the same time as the man who used a nebuliser who is believed to have triggered the latest outbreak.

The pair were released from hotel quarantine on February 7 and had been isolating at home ever since.

One parent, who was not at the Holiday Inn, was considered a secondary contact and had also been isolating at home during their infectious period.

Mr Foley said on Friday all three had multiple negative tests between February 10 and 12 before turning positive on Thursday.

The news came after wastewater testing revealed viral fragments of COVID-19 in Wantirna South and Boronia on February 15 and Carrum Downs, Langwarrin, St Kilda, Caulfield and Caulfield North on February 16.

Those suburbs are east and southeast of the CBD, whereas all active cases reside in the western suburbs apart from one person in Greater Dandenong.

The health department said the wastewater samples had “weak detections” of viral fragments.

Anyone who has any symptoms of COVID-19 and lives in or has visited the areas below during the following times has been urged to get tested:

  • Wantirna South or Boronia from February 13 to 15, including parts of Bayswater, Ferntree Gully, Knoxfield and Tremont;
  • Carrum Downs or Langwarrin from February 13 to 16, including parts of Skye;
  • St Kilda East or Caulfield North from February 13 to 16, including parts of Balaclava, Caulfield and Elsternwick.

Victoria’s COVID response commander Jeroen Weimar said on Friday the wastewater detections were “unexpected”.

“We have no obvious connections between the new locations that are flagged up and any positive cases, we are therefore asking people in a couple of areas to be particularly vigilant and report any potential symptoms they may have,” he said.



Source link

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here