A man died in a Queensland hospital from COVID-19, officials confirmed on Tuesday.
The 77-year-old dual Papua New Guinean and British citizen died on Monday, Queensland Health said in a statement.
The man was evacuated from Papua New Guinea to Australia on March 28 as his condition was deteriorating.
He had been in the intensive care unit at Redcliffe hospital since then.
The health department said it offered its condolences to the man’s family.
“PNG is one of Queensland’s closest neighbours, and when we can offer support to our neighbours, we can, and we will,” the department said in a statement.
Queensland will not include the man’s death in its official toll of COVID-19 deaths, which has sat at six people since April last year.
More to come