Things will “pretty much” return to “normal” in NSW from Monday as the latest relaxation on coronavirus restrictions come into play.
Restrictions on venues, dancing, singing and gatherings will significantly ease, and masks will no longer be mandatory in all settings – but are strongly recommended on public transport.
There’s no cap on the number of guests allowed at weddings and funerals, dancing is back on and so is singing, in any environment.
Up to 200 people are allowed at personal outdoor public gatherings, while stadiums will return to 100 per cent capacity.
However, one restriction that remains in place is the 2sq m rule for venues, once there are more than 25 patrons inside.
NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet last week declared the rolling back of restrictions would return the state “pretty much back to normal”.
State leaders have pledged to ensure QR codes, a mainstay throughout the pandemic, are being used.
“These easing of restrictions will only work if all of us stay COVIDSafe, (which) means good social distancing. Most importantly it means registering QR codes wherever we go,” Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.
“There are harsh penalties for people, for businesses and organisations who don’t comply with the QR codes.
“And (they) will come down hard on businesses and individuals if that is not maintained because compliance and keeping COVIDSafe is key to this.”
Ms Berejiklian said the changes were possible because there had been no cases of community transmission and the vaccine rollout was “going well”.
She also urged people to continue wearing masks on public transport.
“We appreciate many more people will be catching public transport, and while masks are not compulsory, it is our strongest advice that if you feel you are on a service which is during the peak hour where you cannot maintain social distancing,” Ms Berejiklian said at the time.
NSW health officials have responded to the outbreak in Queensland, declaring nine people have been listed as close contacts to positive cases.
Another 20,000 travellers recently arrived from Queensland.
The travellers who returned on flights between March 20 and 26 are being contacted via email and SMS to request that they get tested and isolate if they have visited any of the venues of concern listed by Queensland Health.
People who visited a venue of concern will receive a phone call.
Four new cases of community transmission were revealed in Queensland on Monday, prompting a hard three-day lockdown.