Four people have been rushed to hospital after a reported chlorine leak at an aquatic centre in a popular Victorian beach town.
Air and road ambulances were dispatched to Apollo Bay Aquatic and Leisure Centre on Saturday after paramedics first received reports of a chlorine leak at about 10.50am.
Ambulance Victoria confirmed there were 14 patients, with two women in their 60s and 20s being flown to the Alfred Hospital and another woman in her 40s being transported to Geelong Hospital.
A fourth patient will also be taken to hospital.
Country Fire Authority (CFA) spokesperson Keith Pakenham said about 21 people were initially treated after being exposed to toxic fumes, but most would not require hospitalisation.
It’s understood two young children were among the patients treated.
“It appears there were multiple people who were inside the building at the time who will be assessed,” Ambulance Victoria said in a statement earlier on Saturday.
Mr Pakenham said a 400-metre exclusion zone was set up around the Costin Street site, with nearby roads closed.
“CFA crews in breathing apparatus have isolated power to the building including the chlorine pump and are helping to disperse the fumes,” he said.
CFA crews from Apollo Bay, Wye River, Colac and a Fire Rescue Victoria hazmat unit from Lara all attended the scene.
Apollo Bay Aquatic and Leisure Centre has been contacted.
More to come.