A dozen children had to be given emergency treatment on Wednesday afternoon after they accidentally consumed a dangerous substance while at a Melbourne early learning centre.
The children were at the daycare centre in Caulfield, in Melbourne’s south east, when they were reportedly poisoned with what is suspected to be a cleaning fluid, according to 7 News.
The chemical fluid was mistakenly put into a drink which was then given to the infants, according to the report.
Fire Rescue Victoria said emergency responders were called and told of “multiple occupants suffering a suspected reaction to an unknown substance”.
“Firefighters arrived on scene in six minutes and worked quickly to establish the source of the reactions.
“Crews identified there was no Hazmat risk, and the likely cause of the reaction was through a food source.”
“FRV crews worked alongside Ambulance Victoria, local council, and Victoria Police at the scene,” the spokesperson added.
None of the 12 children required hospitalisation.