(Well, obviously it’s not that old, Indigenous Australians have lived in the Melbourne area for about 40,000 years, and in the Sydney area for the past 30,000 years).
Usually, this debate comes down to two cities – Sydney and Melbourne.
As part of news.com.au’s Australia’s Favourite series we want to find out what is our greatest city.
But before we do that, we thought we would provide you with some reasons to look past both Sydney and Melbourne and vote for one of the underdogs.
There are 16 options below (we’ve provided the 15 most populated cities plus little old Darwin to make it fair. If you’re city is missing and you feel aggrieved please comment below).
WHY SYDNEY SUCKS
• Night-life has never recovered from the lockout laws
• House prices are huge
• Sports stadiums are almost impossible to get to (wanna go to Olympic Park? Well that’ll be two train trips)
• The huge divide between east and west
• The obsession with NRL
• Vivid Festival is rubbish (if you like crowds and the same light displays every year, then this is the festival for you)
• Too hot and humid
WHY MELBOURNE SUCKS
• Huge chip on its shoulder about being second fiddle to Sydney, while Sydney-siders don’t really care about Melbourne
• Weather is crap
• The obsession with AFL (it’s just like Sydney’s NRL obsession but with scarfs)
• The coffee isn’t that good guys
• The whole city could do with a bit of a tidy up